1. Course presentation.
2. The origins of the Spanish nation around 1500. Spain and Europe.
3. The Renaissance: origins, characteristics and main European artists. Renaissance and Mannerism in Spain. El Greco.
4. The Baroque period: origins, characteristics and main European artists. Baroque art in Spain. Ribera, Zurbarán, Velázquez and Murillo.
5. The 18th century: Neoclassicism and Romanticism in Europa and Spain. Goya.
6. The origins of Modern Art. Spain in the 19th century. Sorolla.
7. The 20th century. The Avant-garde: cubism, abstract art and surrealism. Picasso, Gris, González, Dalí and Miró. Art and ideology in Spain.
8. The 20th century. Art after 1945: informalism, pop and conceptual art. Spain: arts and politics. Tàpies, Saura and Chillida.
9. Art and culture in contemporary Spain.