1. Vectors, vector bases, reference frames, coordinates. Vector differentiation in a moving reference frame
2. Point particle kinematics and dynamics
3. Central force problems
5. Geometry of masses
6. Rigid body kinematics and dynamics
7. Torque-free motion of a rigid body
Fluid mechanics and thermal engineering:
1. Continuum postulate. Control mass and volume.
2. Thermodynamic state, properties, processes
3. Conservation of Mass, Momentum and Energy
4. First Law: heat and work, stored energy, internal energy, the energy equation for a control volume, enthalpy, specific heats
5. Second law: entropy and irreversibility.
6. Thermodynamic cycles
7. 1D flow model and Nozzles
8. Heat transfer mechanisms. Conduction, convection and radiation
Solid mechanics and structural engineering
1. Introduction to solid mechanics and linear structures. Types of structures (beam, plate, ...).
2. Deformation and stress in a material. Elasticity: Young modulus.
4. Loads: compression/tension, shear, torsion, bending, thermal...
5. Resistance: ultimate stresses. Safety factors in a structure
6. Introduction to structural dynamics. Vibration modes, fundamental frequency, harmonics.