SECTION 1:ANALYZING POLITICS: CONCEPTS, TECHNIQUES AND MODELS.
2. Social Choice: Preferences. Interests. Aggregation. Collective action.
3. Positive political economy: Market agents. Political actors. Political-economic equilibrium.
4. Models of electoral competition: Downsian approach. Probabilistic voting models. Citizen-candidate. Partisan politics.
5. Voting: Agency problems. Accountability. Selection.
SECTION 2: INSTITUTIONS: DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE
6. Institutional structure: States and markets. Regulation. Bureaucracy. Institutional coordination. Varieties of capitalism.
7. Economic institutions. Political institutions. Institutions as rules and equilibria. Institutional change and stability.
8. Transaction costs. Time-consistency problems. Credible commitments. Reputation.
9. Political institutions and policy outcomes. State capacity. Political Regimes. Economic growth. Poverty. Development.
SECTION 3: POLITICS OF REDISTRIBUTION
10. Models of redistributive politics. Preferences for social insurance. Welfare state.
11. Distributional consequences of political institutions. Electoral systems. Coalition governments. Pork-barrel politics. Lobbying.