Common topics of the courses:
The analysis of the different conflicts, problems or challenges analyzed will include the following common topics:
- Its definition, typology and causes, as well as its sources and methods of study.
- Its location and geographic distribution.
- Its evolution, development and consequences.
- The political instruments promoted to try to regulate, manage or solve them.
-The analysis of relevant cases.
1. The different definitions of international terrorism and its implications.
¿ Extremism, radicalism, violent radicalism and terrorism
¿ Political violence by state and non-state actors
2. Geographical distribution and explanatory factors of international terrorism (ideological, political, ethnic, religious, cultural, etc.).
¿ Relevance of the Analysis of the geopolitics of terrorism. World geography of terrorism. Why geography matters for political and ideological purposes.
¿ Ethnic-nationalist terrorism. National liberation movements
¿ Religious-based terrorism
¿ The relation between culture and terrorism
¿ Terrorism sponsored by the State
¿ Global Terrorism
3. Operational and organizational models of international terrorism. (cyberterrorism/social media/type of violent actions lone wolves/cells organization, killing with vehicle, bombs, immolation, bioterrorism¿)
4. Jihadi terrorism: origin, evolution, current situation and prospects.
¿ The sectarianization of the Shia and Sunni communities from the ideological spectrum.
¿ Jihad through Sunni and Shia Islamist movements. Qaeda, Isis and Hezbollah.
5. Other types of terrorism and their presence in different regions of the world. (lone actor terrorist-white supremacist/PKK)
6. International cooperation and fight against terrorism.
¿ International legislation to prevent and fight against terrorism
¿ Violent radicalization processes
¿ Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) and deradicalization measures
¿ The new challenges of global terrorism
¿ Between security and individual freedom.