After completing the course the student will be able:
- To know specific public management approaches and methods
- To understand skills needed to develop effective governance predirectivo or management level in public administration.
- To develop management skills and use knowledge of which is relevant to the governance of the directors and heads of government in a globalizing world and in the case of Spain, particularly affected by the strong political and administrative decentralization.
Description of contents: programme
1. Public management and management skills. Historical trends and current situation. Bureaucratic model reconfiguration and public service changes.
2. New management tools in public organizations: an overview.
3. Cultural change in public administration. Elements of change: decisions and processes. Managing change in the information age.
4. Human resources management in public secdtor. Leadership styles and motivation of public employees. Teamwork and its application in public organizations.
5. Organizational communication. Public managers communication systems.
6. Negotiation skills and conflict resolution in the public domain. Concepts and skills of negotiation and conflict resolution. The process of negotiation.
7. Models of excellence and quality management in public administrations.
8. Public ethics and accountability. Communication and transparency
Learning activities and methodology
- Lectures and case studies in class
- Simulation excercices on managerial skills (group)
- Book review on public management
- Presentations, where appropriate, by student teams
- Report on public management case
% end-of-term-examination 50
% of continuous assessment (assigments, laboratory, practicals...) 50
BOVAIRD, T.; LÖFFLER, E., eds. (2015), Public Management and Governance, London, Routledge. 3rd. edition.. .. .. .
CONTEH, C.; GREITENS, T.J.; JESUIT, D.K.; ROBERGE, I. (2018), Governance and Public Management. Strategic Foundations for Volatile Times, Routledge. .. .. .
KUHLMANN, S.; WOLLMANN, H. (2019), Introduction to Comparative Public Administration. Administrative Systems and Reforms in Europe. Elgar Publishing. .. .. .
POLLIT, C.; BOUCKAERT, G. (2017), Public Management Reform A Comparative Analysis. Oxford Univ. Press, 4th edition. .. .. .
SHAFRITZ, J. M.; RUSSELL, E.W.; BORICK, C.P.; HYDE, A.C. (2016), Introducing Public Administration. Routledge, 9th Edition. .. .. .
CHRISTENSEN, T.; LAGREID, P.; RONESS, P.; ROVIK, K. (2007), Organizational Theory and the Public Sector. Routledge. .. .. .
HUGHES, O.E. (2003), Public Management and Administration. Palgrave-Macmillan. .. .. .
JOYCE, P. (2015), Strategic Management in the Public Sector. Routledge. .. .. .
KLIJN, E.; KOPPENJAN, J. (2015), Governance Networks in the Public Sector. Routledge. .. .. .
PERRY, J.L. (1996), Handbook of Public Administration. Jossey-Bass. .. .. .
PETERS, B.G. (2003), Handbook of Public Administration. Sage. .. .. .
POLLIT, C. (2016), Advanced Introduction to Public Management and Administration. Elgar Publishing. .. .. .
VAN DE WALLE, S.; GROENEVELD, S. (2018), Theory and Practice of Public Sector Reform. Routledge. .. .. .
The course syllabus and the academic weekly planning may change due academic events or other reasons.