The objective is to provide a mathematical background for advanced courses on Economic theory. The student should learn and manage the main mathematical tools which are widely applied in the different areas of Economics.
Regarding the general competences and skills, the student will develop the ability to:
- Use the main tools that are needed in the analysis of economic problems.
- Address economic problems with precision and rigour by means of mathematical models.
- Analyze and solve the above mentioned models.
- Interpret the solutions and apply them to a real context appropiately.
On the other hand, regarding the specific competences, the student will be able to:
- Perform operations with vectors and matrices and solve systems of linear equations.
- Understand the fundamental concepts involved in the calculus of real-valued functions (with emphasis in differentiability).
- Describe the qualitative properties of real-valued functions (with emphasis in convexity).
- Articulate the different notions in a topology defined in a metric space.
- Pose and solve static and dynamic optimization problems.