Part I: Discourse analysis in the social sciences (7 weeks)
(This part of the module will be taught in English)
1. Theoretical and epistemological foundations
- The linguistic turn and interpretive social science.
- The idea of social construction of reality.
- Discourse, power and ideology.
2. Approaches to discourses analysis: theory and methodology
- Content analysis: quantitative and qualitative
- Frame Analysis and Critical Policy Studies
- Critical Discourse Analysis
Part II: Analysing the language of social discourses: language varieties, discourses and power (7 weeks)
1. The socio-historical construction of languages and language varieties: implications for discourse.
2. Dominant language varieties, prestige discourses and social structure
- The standard language
- Special languages
- Literary language.
3. Subordinate language varieties, stigmatized discourses and social structure
- Diatopic variation, diastratic variation and submission
- Linguistic insecurity
- Acculturation through language and discourse.