§ 1. International Criminal Law: Concept and origins. The establishment of the ad hoc international tribunals for the former Yugoslavia (1993) and Rwanda (1994). Other international tribunals: Cambodia, Sierra Leone, Lebanon, Kosovo, Cambodia and Timor Leste.
§ 2. The International Criminal Court. Jurisdiction and functioning. The exercise of jurisdiction of the ICC. The principle of complementarity of the jurisdiction of the ICC to national jurisdictions. Preliminary investigation. The admissibility of a case and its challenge. Causes of inadmissibility. The confirmation of charges decision by the Trial Chamber. The sentence and the verdict of the Trial Chamber. The appeal of the judgment and other court decisions. The review of the judgment. Cooperation and judicial assistance.
§ 3. The general principles of international criminal law and applicable law. Principle of legality of offenses and penalties, and non-retroactivity of the Rome Statute. Irrelevance of official position and lack of immunities. Non- Applicability of Statute limitations.
§ 4. The general part of international criminal law.
1) Individual criminal responsibility: the forms of perpetration and participation (art 25 ECPI) and superior responsibility for failure to act (Article 28 ECPI).
2) The intention and knowledge (art 30 ECPI).
3) The error of fact and law (Article 32 ECPI).
4) Grounds of exclusion of criminal responsibility: a) self-defense or third parties; b) Coercion; c) Intoxication; d) Mental disease. The limited effect of the so-called "due obedience".
§ 5. The crimes under international criminal law.
1) Genocide. Objective and subjective elements.
2) Crimes against humanity. Elements of context and conducts (murder, torture, disappearances, rape, etc.).
3) War crimes. Elements of context and conducts
4) The crime of aggression.
§ 6. Transitional Justice processes. The issue of amnesty and pardon. The jurisprudence of the Interamerican Court of Human Rights: Truth, Justice and Reparation and guarantees of non-repetition.
§ 7. Universal Jurisdicción principle:legislative changes, specific problems and challenges of the future.