SPECIFIC LEARNING OBJECTIVES (PO a):
- To understand the Linear operators and the principle of superposition for solving differential equations.
- To solve elementary differential equations by separation of variables and other methods.
- To understand the different application scopes of the differential equation to engineering and physics.
- To distinguish between elliptic, hyperbolic and parabolic partial differential equations and which initial or boundary conditions are appropriate for them.
- To understand how to apply separation of variables and the Fourier method to solve initial-boundary value problems for the equations of Mathematical Physics.
- To understand the separation of variables technique, the role of the resulting eigenvalue problems and the principle of superposition to solve initial-boundary value problems for the equations of Mathematical Physics.
- To understand when and how to use the method of characteristics to solve different cases of partial differential equations.
GENERAL ABILITIES (PO a, g, k):
- To understand the necessity of abstract thinking and formal mathematical proofs.
- To acquire communicative skills in mathematics.
- To acquire the ability to model real-world situations mathematically, with the aim of solving practical problems.
- To improve problem-solving skills.