The course consists of two parts. The first one is about the thermodynamics of living systems, i.e., the study of energy transformation in the biological science. The second part introduces some basic physical concepts in Medical Physics, mainly related to the interaction of radiation with matter, atomic and nuclear structure.
The following competences and skills should be acquired:
- Ability to know and understand the basic laws and concepts of thermodynamics,
focusing on its applications to biochemistry and biology
- Ability to understand the basic elements of the interaction of radiation with matter, atomic and
nuclear structure essential in Medical Physics
- Ability to understand and use the mathematics involved in the physical models
- Ability to understand and use the scientific method
- Ability to understand and use the scientific language
- Ability to develop skills to solve problems
- Ability to use scientific instruments and analyze experimental data
- Ability to retrieve and analyse information from different sources
- Ability to work in a team.