OBJECTIVE: To present the fundamentals of the main switching technologies used in communications networks, protocols and architectures of control nodes that are built with telecommunication services. The student must know the internal architecture of the types of switches, with particular emphasis on packet switches, including design alternatives internal switching network, and basic algorithms for classification, planning packages, route search and queuing. On these elements are implemented mechanisms for reliability, QoS and traffic engineering are essential for the design and management of communications networks.
- The existing switching techniques.
- Basic operating principles of packet switching, circuits, cells, messages or bursts.
- Technological challenges of today optical switching (OBS and OPS).
- Internal architecture and algorithms used in simple packet switches (shared memory, shared bus, centralized vs. distributed processing, routers with switching fabric) and complex (knock-out, banyan, batcher-banyan, benes).
- Main route lookup techniques.
- Items required to implement Quality of Service in a packet switch architectures and their associated protocols (classification, planning and management of queues).
- Label switching technology and IP integration, applications in Traffic Engineering, protection and implementation of virtual private network service. Extension to Optical Networks.
- Analyze and compare design alternatives of a switch.
- Undertake the design aspect of a packet switching network for the sizing of capacity switches.
- Identify and troubleshoot routers load.
- Analyze the scalability of designs label switching networks.
- Set various parameters of traffic control in a switch, QoS aspects of routers a packet network to support different traffic classes and / or service, and a VPN backbone network based on packet switching.
- Perform traffic engineering calculations.
General or skills:
- Overview about the different mechanisms implemented on switched networks judiciously applying the knowledge acquired.
- Ability to work as a team to solve the raised work, distributing the workload to deal with complex problems and access to technical literature and understand it, and the information required to know the details of a particular configuration.
- Contact with technologies widely used in networks and telecommunications operators in the business world.
- Proactive issue with their peers and the necessity to understand the involve technologies.