Unit 1. Introduction to Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) and Unmmaned Air Systems (UAS)
- Applications: missions
- Systems: integration
- Normative: operation. Safety of Flight. Human Factors.
- Socio-economic impact
- Types and classification of UAS
- Introduction to UAS Design and Construction
Unit 2. Basic Technologies
* Materials. 3D Printing & Additive Manufacturing
- Propulsion and Power
* Battery Management Systems (BMS), Power Systems, Fuel Cells and Propellers. Solar Power Solutions.
- Guidance and Control
+ Type of navigation: autonomous (Inertial); non-inertial (e.g., GNSS)
+ Sensors (Barometer, IMU, GPS): measurement attitude and conditions of the aircraft, instrumentation
+ Types of Autopilots, operating principles
+ System control elements, actuators (servos)
* Cameras, Imaging & Vision Systems
* Optic (Visible, IR). Range (RADAR, LiDAR, SONAR). Magnetic (MAD)
* Inertial Sensors: IMU.
* Command and Control
* Data links
* Ultra reliable low latency communications. Massive M2M Communications. IoT, 5G.
* Medium Access Control. Networking. Security
* Data Storage
* Data Fusion. Information Extraction. Perception.
* Detection, classification, tracking. Decision Making. Learning.
* Edge and Fog Computing.
- Ground Control Station
* GCS software
* UAV Launch & Recovery Systems
Unit 3. Systems for interaction with the physical world
- Localization, identification and Navigation systems.
* Collision Avoidance Systems. Traffic Management and Control.
Unit 4. Applications
- Intelligent Transports: ground, air and sea.
- Services, Agriculture and Industry: Aerial photography, filming and mapping, precision agriculture, asset and infrastructure inspection
- Security and defense: surveillance, warfare.
Unit 5. RPAS/UAS operation
- Operational procedures (Flight and Mission planning, Emergency procedures, radio spectrum)
* Mission control and management software
- Human Factors