During this course the student will learn all the basic concepts on microwave circuits. In order to do that, the student will acquire knowledges in these areas:
- Analysis and design of passive devices and introduction to active microwave circuits.
- Study of the tools for the analysis and design of microwave circuits: Smith chart, S parameters.
- Analysis and design of passive microwave circuits: matching networks, power dividers, directional couplers, resonators and filters and non-reciprocal devices.
- Introduction to active circuits
Concerning skills, these can be generic or specific:
- Review of the guided-wave propagation fundamental topics (taken from the course in Electromagnetic Field Theory) and transmission line theory.
- Knowledge of circuit theory to analyze microwave circuits:
o Knowledge of transmission line as a circuit: Smith chart.
o N-port network analysis: scattering (S-) parameters.
- Skills for the design of passive microwave circuits:
o 2, 3 and 4-port networks: power dividers, combiners and directional couplers.
o Resonator analysis
o Analysis and design of microwave filters.
o Introduction to passive non-reciprocal circuits.
- Introduction to microwave measurements: impedance measurement and network analyzers.
-Introduction to microwave amplifiers.
Basic Eurace skills
CB1: Students are able to aquire and understand advanced knowledge on specific subjects.
CB2: Students are able to apply their knowledge to solve telecommunication problems.
Generic Eurace skills
CG3: Knowledge of basic subjects and technologies.
Specific Eurace skills
ETEGITT2: Capacity to choose different RF and microwave circuits and subsystems for radiolinks and radar applications
* Understanding the roll that RF front-ends have in a communication system. The student will be able to apply his mathematics and physics knowledges to design circuits for transmitting or receiving communication signals. (PO a)
* The student will be able to identify the necessary circuits for designing an RF front-end with simulation tools (AWR or ADS software) and measure the corresponding prototypes (networks analyzer) (PO b, c, e and k)
* The student will be able to work in group and present the results of their work in an effective way (PO g, k)
* The student will understand the need of developing a continuous learning in order to update all the technological advances (PO a, c, j, k)