The aim of this course is to provide students the basic tools of differential and integral calculus of several variables. To achieve this goal students must acquire a range of expertise and capabilities.
SPECIFIC LEARNING OBJECTIVES (PO a):
- To understand the n-dimensional Euclidean space and in more depth n = 2 and 3.
- To know the properties of scalar and vector functions of several variables.
- To understand the concepts of continuity, differentiability and integrability.
- To be able to handle optimization problems using optimization techniques.
- To understand how to calculate double, triple, line and surface integrals.
- To know and apply the main theorems of vector calculus: Green, Gauss, Stokes.
- To understand how to apply the integral to calculate surface areas, volumes and solve some basic problems of Mathematical-Physics.
SPECIFIC ABILITIES (PO a):
- To be able to work with functions of several variables given in terms of a graphical, numerical or analytical description.
- To understand the concept of differentiable function and ability to solve problems involving the concept.
- To understand the concept of multiple integral, line and surface integral and its practical applications.
GENERAL ABILITIES (PO a):
- To understand the necessity of abstract thinking and formal mathematical proofs.
- To acquire communicative skills in mathematics.
- To acquire the ability to model real-world situations mathematically, with the aim of solving practical problems.
- To improve problem-solving skills.