With respect to knowledge, at the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Know the different signaling architectures of voice services, in both circuit-switched networks (SS7 Signaling System) and packet networks (H.323 and SIP).
- Know the different architectures of IP video telephony (SIP and H.323), Video on demand (VoD) and existing IPTV.
- Know scalable implementation alternatives.
- Know the limitations and alternatives for transporting real-time multimedia streams over packet networks.
- Know the multicast service and the main multicast routing algorithms.
- Know the quality of service facilities in various network technologies.
- Know multimedia transport protocols over packet networks, such as RTP.
In terms of competences, they can be classified into two groups: specific competences and generic competences or skills.
With regards to specific competences, after the course students will be able to:
- Analyze and compare different design alternatives of multimedia services.
- Configure various QoS parameters in a network to support a telephony system.
- Identify and solve multicast distribution issues.
- Create services with group support.
- Use of transport protocols for applications or networks with special characteristics.
With respect to general competences or skills, the course will focus on:
- Broad view on the various protocols in multimedia networks judiciously applying the knowledge gained.
- Ability to function on disciplinary teams to solve the raised work, distributing the workload to deal with complex problems (PO d).
- Recognition of the need for continuous learning and ability to access and understand technical literature (PO i).
- Contact with technologies widely used in the networks of telecommunications operators and of distribution of multimedia content (PO j).
- Ability to design systems and content distribution networks, as well as to design multi-network multimedia applications (PO a, e).
In terms of attitudes, after completing the course students should have:
- Proactive with respect to collaborating with colleagues, to complete complex tasks as a group.
- Proactive about the need to understand the technologies considered prior to their configuration.