1. Rocket motors and fundamental parameters
- The rocket equation. Specific Impulse. Effective velocity increment; gravity and drag losses. Delta-V for various missions. Staging.
2. Rocket dynamics
- 2D Rocket motion. Parallel, perpendicular, and rotation equation. Trajectory during ascent. Aerodynamic stability. Lateral wind. Gravity turn.
3. Rocket nozzles.
- Quasi-1D model with ideal gas. Choked mass flow. Pressure ratio, area ratio, exit Mach number. Thrust and thrust coefficient. characteristic velocity. Variation with external pressure. Flow separation. Real effects. Method of characteristics for nozzle design. Expansion of reacting gas.
4. Heat transfer and cooling in rockets.
- Stanton number, film coefficient. The Reynolds analogy, Bartz's correlation. Regenerative cooling. Ablation cooling.
5. Solid propellant rockets.
- Grain composition, combustion and regression rate. Steady and transient mass balance. Massflow model. Chamber pressure selection. Construction. Grain geometry. Ignition.
6. Liquid propellant rockets.
- Mono- and bi-propellant rockets. Properties of common propellants. Pressurization cycles. Combustion instabilities. Injectors
7. Hybrid Rockets.
- Internal ballistics. Mass flow model.
8. Non-Chemical rockets.
- Nuclear. Electric propulsion and Low-Thrust. Types of electric thrusters.