TOPIC 1: Public policy analysis and program evaluation
- Policy Analysis as an academic discipline and as a professional practice
- Evaluation as analytical procedure.
- Evaluation¿s values and criteria
- Policy analysis and evaluation history. institutionalization of evaluation in Spain
- Problem structuring, monitoring, forecasting, recommendation
TOPIC 2: Evaluation: Types and theoretical perspectives
- Types of evaluations (design, implementation, results/impacts)
- Theoretical perspectives in evaluation (positivist paradigm and pluralistic perspectives)
- The politics of program evaluation.
TOPIC 3: Managing evaluations
- The evaluations manager. The terms of reference (ToR).
TOPIC 4: Designing and planning an evaluation
- Evaluability of the interventions
- Context and motivation to evaluate.
- Evaluation objectives and scope.
- Mapping key stakeholders and targets (beneficiaries)
- The theory of the program (theory of change)
- KEQ key evaluation questions
TOPIC 5. Methodological approaches for evaluations
- Causal attribution and impact evaluations (theory-based or counterfactual-based approaches)
- Sampling techniques and experimental approaches for (impact) evaluation
- Other methodological approaches for evaluation
TOPIC 6: Indicators and value criteria
- Indicators: elements and types
- Construction of indicators and value criteria operationalization
- Quality assessment of indicators (SMART, evaluation matrix).
TOPIC 7 The fieldwork and data gathering techniques
- The agenda or work plan (office work, field work and schedule).
- Quantitative, qualitative and mixed approaches.
- Techniques: observation, questionnaires and surveys, interviews, focus groups, tracking (online, social media, etc)
- Other tools (participatory tool, transects, SWOT, Delphi, impact-cost relationship matrix;, scorecard, design thinking tools, etc.)
TOPIC 8: Data analysis, judgments and recommendations
- E. Bardach¿s Eightfold path for policy analysis (practical advice about fieldwork, data analysis, judgment and recommendations)
TOPIC 9: Credibility, standards, and ethical criteria
- The independence and credibility of evaluations.
- Standards and ethical criteria for program evaluation practice.