Program starts with an introduction to the theoretical framework of the course and the main concepts to be driving along the course : concentration , pluralism , diversity, mergers and takeovers , economies of scale , vertical and horizontal integration or multimediaconglomerates.
1.The media system . The main concepts: pluralism, diversity, economy average.
2. The television market. The reform of the TDT. The television duopoly of Mediaset Atresmedia and Spain. RTVE to guarantee public service. The market for pay television.
3.Communications Groups in Spain. Pluralism and concentration. Main Characteristics of Spanish Media Groups. Crisis and Financiarization.
4. Study of main groups in Spain. Groups integrated in press: Vocento, Unidad Editorial, Zeta y Godó.
5. Analysis of the Prisa group: a round trip. Rise and decline of the largest Spanish communication group.
6. The media empire of the Planeta group and the transformation of Telecinco into Mediaset Spain. The success of horizontal integrations in the television sector.
7. Mediapro and its domain as Carrier and managing sports retransmission rights.
8. The struggle for content: the return of Telefónica with Movistar TV. The Vodafone alternative with ONO. The dispute about the main Premium contents: rights of sports broadcasts and televisions. Output deals and volume deals.
1.Structure in the era of digital media. "Disconvergence" in the global media industries and transformations in the global media system: struggle for content and distribution among the GAFA (Google, Apple, Facebook and Google), telecommunications companies and the world's major media groups.
2. The precedents: integration of networks and contents. Study of the fusion of AOL-Time Warner. Absorption of NBC Universal by Comcast cable.
3. The role of traditional communication groups: Disney, Time Warner, Sony, Viacom and News Corp. The start-up of Hulu. The end of the great traditional groups?
4. The intersection of Internet companies, telecommunications and content companies. The dispute over the VoD. Case studies: large online video stores: Netflix, HBO, Disney projects and AT & T. The global domain of content: the purchase of Direct TV and Time Warner by AT & T.
5. The European media system. Main features. Case studies: Kirch and the failure of Canal + France and its absorption by Vivendi. The future of Mediaset Italy. Success paradigms: Bertelsmann and BskyB.