1. Energy and society. Primary sources of energy, transformations and consumption. Historic
evolution. Energy and development. Energy intensity. Energy politics.
2. Resources and energy consumption. Environmental impact. Energy balance. Efficiencies and their
3. Classification of energy sources. renewables and non renewable energy sources.
4. Nuclear energy. Fission and fusion. Reactors and power plants. Fuel cycle, residues.
5. Oil. Liquid and gaseous fuels. Uses and prices. Conversion.
6. Coal, Characteristics and uses. Politics. Carbon emissions abatement.
7. Renewable energy, classification and uses. Politics. Solar energy. Sun geometry. Sky model.
8. Solar-thermal energy for the production of heat, cold and electricity. Collectors. Powerplants.
9. Photovoltaic energy. Energy storage. Cost of energy.
10. Atmospheric energy. Wind energy. Development and management.
11. Wind energy, technology. Hydroelectric and marine energy.
12. Biomass. Classification and uses. Transformations.
Each item participates approximately in equal part of 70% of the total ECTS. 20% corresponds to the
classroom exercises and 10% to the practicals.