1. Introduction to light. Basic magnitudes. Basic laws of optics
2. Optical sources. Semiconductor devices. Electronic circuits. VLC systems
2.1 Working principle of optical emitters based on semiconductors; Energy bands. Absorption, emission processes
spontaneous and stimulated emission
2.2 Types of optical emitters: LED and LASER. Comparison of basic characteristics. Efficiencies
2.3 Electrooptic characteristic curves; Optical power-current curve; Spectral response curve. Bandwidth; Operation dependence on temperature
2.4 Application circuits
2.5 LED-based VLC systems: basic principles
2.6 Mono and multicarrier modulations
2.7 Applications in different environments: vehicles, infoentretainment, etc.
3. Photodetectors and optocouplers. Electronic conditioning circuits
3.1 Absorption process in sc. Principle of operation of photodetectors
3.2 Types of photodetectors: p-n, pin, APD, phototransistors
3.3 Responsivity and efficiency. Spectral and E/O characteristic curves
3.4 Concept of noise in photodetectors: types and evaluation
3.5 Conditioning circuits in photodetectors
4. Electro-optical materials, optical and electrical properties. Devices. Applications
4.1 Electro-optical effects on radiation / matter interaction
4.2 E / O materials: Liquid crystals, Electrochromic and Electrophoretic. Operating principles and characteristic E/O curves
4.3 Electrical equivalent circuits.
4.4 Applications: sensing, privacy control, communications, biomedical, etc.
5. Propagation of light. Optical Fibers: Attenuation and Dispersion
5.1 Propagation in guided media: wave equation
5.2 Characteristic parameters F.O: Singlemode and multimode fibers
5.3 Attenuation in F.O. Communications windows
5.4 Dispersion in F.O.: intermodal, chromatic and PMD
6. Optical sensors and fiber optic sensors. Applications
6.1 Introduction. General characteristics of optical sensors.
6.2 Types of sensors depending on the magnitude: T, pressure, stress, etc.
7. Optoelectronic instrumentation systems in industrial applications.
7.1 Basic components of instrumentation systems
7.2 S.I. for applications in environment, space, etc.