- Lectures using online teaching with the platform provided by the University, typically Black Board Collaborate.
o Static and dynamic sensor characteristics and theoretical concepts for designing conditioning circuits related to the sensor type and application
o Examples on lectures of using theoretical concepts and practical use of commercial sensors, for being able to select a specific sensor technology depending on the requirements of the industrial applications
o Communication skills are enhanced through reading of materials and written reports in English and Spanish.
- Practical exercises in lectures.
o Problems are developed for being able to understand commercial sensor datasheets and circuits; students solve them individually or in groups of 2-3 students
o Practical examples on extracting information from calibration curves
o Identification of sensor technologies by analyzing manufacturer data sheets and
installed instrumentation systems
o To extract conclusions, they must also analyze, and interpret data and the following
methodology is used
o teacher provides questionnaires related to lab sessions and theoretical concepts which are fill in by the students and can be discussed in some aspects in class;
o afterwards they usually form groups of 2-3 students and prepare a report to be used in the
- Activities related to Lab work.
- Students must design and execute lab experiments with teacher support, such as:
o characterizing temperature and strain sensors,
o strain instrumentation system evaluation
o design on some conditioning circuits for temperature and strain measurements
- Being able to use lab instrumentation: oscilloscopes, power sources, voltmeters
- Being able to put to work and instrumentation system from discrete components (sensors, IC amplifiers...) and evaluate their correct performance
- To extract conclusions, they must also analyze, and interpret data, comparing their results with manufacturer data sheets and required specifications; the following methodology is used
o every student group (made up of usually 2-3 students) prepare a report on expected results
on lab sessions and theoretical concepts to be developed in the lab, individual work can be exceptionally developed with the consent of the teacher
o after measuring on the lab, students analyze and interpret the measured data and prepare a final report
- Students are required to use commercial software and provide solutions to real-world problems.
- They develop capacity to apply theoretical concepts and design some parts following certain specifications, and capacity to make an experiment and a critical discussion of the results.