By the end of this subject, students will be able to have:
1. a systematic understanding of the key aspects and concepts of thermal engineering.
2. coherent knowledge of thermal engineering including some at the forefront of the branch in mechanical engineering;
3. the ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to identify, formulate and solve problems of thermal engineering using established methods;
4. the ability to select and apply relevant analytic and modelling methods in thermal engineering.
5. the ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to develop and realise designs of thermal systems to meet defined and specified requirements;
6. an understanding of design methodologies in thermal engineering, and an ability to use them.
7. the ability to design and conduct appropriate experiments in thermal engineering, interpret the data and draw conclusions;
8. the ability to select and use appropriate equipment, tools and methods to solve problems of thermal engineering;
9. the ability to combine theory and practice to solve problems of thermal engineering;
10. an understanding of applicable techniques and methods in thermal engineering, and of their limitations;