By the end of this subject, students will be able to have:
1. awareness of the wider multidisciplinary context of engineering.
2. the ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems using established methods;
3. the ability to conduct searches of literature, and to use data bases and other sources of information;
4. the ability to select and use appropriate equipment, tools and methods;
5. the ability to combine theory and practice to solve engineering problems;
6. an awareness of the non-technical implications of engineering practice.
7. function effectively as an individual and as a member of a team;
8. use diverse methods to communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large;
9. recognise the need for, and have the ability to engage in independent, life-long learning.