By the end of this subject, students will be able to have:
1. a systematic understanding of the key aspects and concepts of strength of materials on the behavior of real solids.
2. coherent knowledge of mechanical engineering including some at the forefront of the branch in strength of materials.
3. the ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to identify, formulate and solve problems of strength of materials using established methods
4. the ability to select and apply relevant analytic and modelling methods in strength of materials .
5. the ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to develop and realise designs in strength of materials to meet defined and specified requirements;
6. an understanding of design methodologies in strength of materials , and an ability to use them.
7. the ability to design and conduct appropriate experiments of strength of materials , interpret the data and draw conclusions;
8. workshop and laboratory skills in strength of materials .
9. the ability to select and use appropriate equipment, tools and methods to solve problems of strength of materials ;
10. the ability to combine theory and practice to solve problems of strength of materials ;
11. an understanding of applicable techniques and methods in strength of materials , and of their limitations.