The students should acquire the mathematical background needed to understand and apply new concepts and technical advances related to Computer Science and its practical applications.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES (PO a):
- To understand the real numbers concepts and to be able to use real number sets properties.
- To learn the princial methods of mathematical proof.
- To acquire the basic concepts related to the elementary functions and their analitical, numerical and graphical representations.
- To understand the formal definition of limit and to learn how to solve indeterminate limits.
- To learn the basic numerical root-finding methods.
- To understand the concepts of continuity and differentiation.
- To understand the Taylor expansion technique, its applications to the local approximation of functions and to be able to calculate the approximation error.
- To understand the interpolation concept and to calculate an approximation polynomial to a data set.
- To understand the formal definition of integral and to learn the basic integration techniques.
- To learn the numerical calculation of the definite integral.
SPECIFIC ABILITIES (PO a):
- To be able to handle functions given in terms of a graphical, numerical or analytical description.
- To acquire the capacity to analyze and describe the iterative Calculus processes by mean of numerical algorithms.
- To understand the concept of differentiation and its practical applications.
- To understand the concept of definite integral and its practical applications.
- To understand the relationship between integration and differentiation provided by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
GENERAL ABILITIES (PO a):
- To acquire the capacity of abstract thinking and to undertake formal mathematical proofs.
- To acquire skills of communication orally and written of mathematical concepts.
- To acquire the ability to model real-world situations mathematically, by mean of function and differential or integral equation aiming at its solution.
- To acquire the capacity of problem solution interpretation and its limitations.