This course provides an overview of satellite communication systems and the background to address the integral design of this type of systems. The specificities of space communication systems for space missions, within the solar system and in outer space, are also tackled.
The subject covers the following topics:
1. Introduction. Overview of the architecture and satellite and space communications platforms
2. Orbital concepts and angles
3. Satellite subsystems, link budget and planning
4. Modulation and multiple access for satellite and space communications
5. Satellite communications standards
6. Communications systems in space missions
7. Overview of emerging systems and technologies.