- Theory: lectures 2 ECTS.
o Fiber-optic, emitter and receivers theoretical concepts related to its application in optical communications, and a knowledge of power budget estimation and pulse broadening by applying signal processing tools, lineal system concepts, semiconductor and optoelectronics physics , propagation equations and optics
o Examples on lecture of using theoretical concepts and practical use of fiber optics, for being able to select a specific fiber-optic technology depending on the requirements of the network (solving new problems as part of lifelong learning recognition)
o Communication skills are enhanced through reading of materials and written reports in English and Spanish.
- Practical exercises in lectures. 2 ECTS
o Problems are developed for being able to estimate dispersion impact on transmission bit rate, attenuation on long haul transmission, students solve them individually or in groups of 2-3 students
o Practical examples on power budget estimation and pulse broadening
o Identification of fiber-optic technologies by analyzing manufacturer data sheets and installed networks
o To extract conclusions, they must also analyze, and interpret data. The teacher provides individual questionnaires related to lab sessions and theoretical concepts which are fill in by each student. There is a discussion and general correction in class and afterwards they form groups of 2-3 and prepare a new report prior to the session lab.
- Lab sessions. 2 ECTS
- Students must design and execute lab experiments with teacher support, such as:
o characterizing fiber-optics, emitter drivers and receivers,
o fiber-optic link evaluation
o software simulations of optical transmission system
- Being able to measure losses and characterize optoelectronic components and optical systems
- To extract conclusions, they must also analyze, and interpret data, comparing their results con manufacturer data sheets. The students in groups of 2-3 prepare a report prior to the session lab. After measuring on the lab, they must analyze and interpret measured data and prepare a final report.
- Students are required to use commercial software and provide solutions to real-world problems.
- They develop collaborative work, capacity to apply theoretical concepts, and capacity to make an experiment in time meeting desired needs.