The objectives of the course are
1) To address several key issues such as noise, bandwidth limitation, interference; and to investigate their effects on the performance of communication systems, through error probability analysis.
2) To analyze the different types of transmission media and their impairments.
3) To explore fundamental limits of communication systems, such as channel capacity.
4) To plan and analyze simple communication systems in terms of coverage and capacity.
To achieve these goals, the student must acquire the following ABET program outcomes:
a, c, d, e, g, i, k.
Related to the following competences:
1.- General competences
- Analysis and synthesis (PO: a)
- Problem solving (PO: a, e, k)
- Ability to apply theoretical concepts (PO: a, b, e, k)
- Ability to integrate knowledge (PO: a, c, d, k)
2.- Specific competences
2.1.- cognitive (PO: a, c, e, k)
- Transmission concepts
- Channel characterization and modelling.
- Quality measurement in communication channels
- Limits in Performance of physical channels.
- Design and planning of communication systmes
2.2.- Instrumental (PO: c, e, k)
- Programming with channel simulation software (Matlab)
- Using lab. equipment to understand the behaviour of communication systems and channels.
2.3 Attitude (PO: d, g, i, k)
- Individual and team work
- Decision making
- Abstraction ability.
- Oral presentation