The docent methodology will include:
- Theory: lectures 2 ECTS.
In these classes the basic knowledge the students must learn will be explained: Fiber-optic, emitter and receivers, theoretical concepts related to its application in optical communications, and knowledge of power budget estimation and pulse broadening in optical communication systems.
Examples on lecture of using theoretical concepts and practical use of fiber optics, for being able to select a specific fiber-optic technology depending on the requirements of the network (solving new problems as part of lifelong learning recognition)
- Practical exercises in lectures. 2 ECTS
Problems are developed for being able to estimate dispersion impact on transmission bit rate, attenuation on long haul transmission, students solve them individually or in groups of 2-3 students
o Practical examples on power budget estimation and pulse broadening
o Identification of fiber-optic technologies by analyzing manufacturer data sheets and installed networks
- Lab sessions. 2 ECTS
- Students must design and execute lab experiments with teacher support, such as:
o characterizing fiber-optics, emitter drivers and receivers,
o fiber-optic link evaluation
o software simulations of optical transmission system
- Being able to measure losses and characterize optoelectronic components and optical systems
- To extract conclusions, they must also analyze, and interpret data, comparing their results con manufacturer data sheets. The students in groups of 2-3 prepare a report prior to the session lab. After measuring on the lab, they must analyze and interpret measured data and prepare a final report.
- Students are required to use commercial software and provide solutions to real-world problems.
- They develop collaborative work, capacity to apply theoretical concepts, and capacity to make an experiment in time meeting desired needs.