The objective of this course is to go deeper and complement the knowledge adquired in the Access Networks and Shared Media, and Communications Networks and Services courses by means of communication protocol development and the configuration of network equipment. This course has been designed with a strong applied component. In order to achieve this objective, the student should gain a number of abilities and knowledge.
Regarding the Program Outcomes (POs), the course covers the following ones:
a) An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, statistics, science, telecommunication technologies and engineering.
e) An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
k) An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Regarding the knowledge (PO j), at the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Know the practical implications of developing network and link layer protocols.
- Know the configuration requirements and go deep into the knowledge of intra-domain routing protocols.
Regarding the abilities, these can be classified in two groups: one of specific abilities and another one of more general abilities or skills.
Regarding the specific abilities, at the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Develop a simple network stack (POs a, e).
- Design and deploy a communications network composed by multiple heterogeneous systems (PO a).
- Configure intra-domain routing protocols in the deployed network (POs a, k).
- Validate the correct operation of the network deployed and configured previously (POs a, k).
Regarding the general abilities or skills, the following ones will be exercised during the course:
- Ability to carry out complex system configurations in a systematic way (POs a,k).
- Ability to work inside a team in order to design and configure the different proposed scenarios, by distributing the work among team-mates to address complex problems (PO k).
- Ability to access technical literature and understand it.
- Ability to access to the required information in order to know the details of a particular configuration (PO k).