The aim of this course is to establish and analyze the basic concepts that constitute the core of the model of electromagnetic radiation and propagation, both in a free and a confined medium and to introduce the most commonly used numerical procedures to be applied to the model being studied.
In order to achieve this goal, the student will obtain a knowledge based on a set of skills. In terms of knowledge, the student will learn:
- The electromagnetic wave propagation basics and their essential parameters.
- The Maxwell model including the specific boundary conditions.
- The importance of the materials in the wave propagation study.
- The plane wave set of solutions as an approximation to different real problems: its characteristics, the effect of material discontinuities, the polarization, etc.
- The fundamentals of wave propagation along a guiding structure: waveguides and transmission lines. In addition, the student will obtain the knowledge to analyze these structures.
- The fundamentals of the radiation of electromagnetic waves. This includes different concepts related to the antennas and the parameters which describe them.
- The roll of the different elements comprising a communication radio link.
In terms of the specific skills, during the course the student will achieve:
- The understanding of the different parameters that characterize the electromagnetic free and guided propagation.
- The interpretation of the polarization of a plane wave.
- The classification of the materials as a function of their electromagnetic characteristics.
- The problem of the incidence of electromagnetic waves in incidence problems (changes in materials, including the reflection over perfect electric conductors). Interpretation of reflection, refraction an transmission phenomena.
- The analysis of the wave propagation inside waveguides and transmission lines: modes, cutoff frequency, evanescence, attenuation, etc. Design of waveguides fulfilling certain specifications, with particular emphasis on rectangular waveguides and some simple homogeneous transmission lines.
- The understanding of the parameters that define the antennas.
In terms of the generic skills, during the course the student will achieve:
- An overview of telecommunication systems by analyzing and understanding the essential role of the propagation of electromagnetic waves. The student will achieve the ability to apply knowledge of mathematics and physics to the analysis and design of telecommunication systems from an engineering point of view. Many examples of real systems will be presented to related all the presented contents with the contents studied in other courses.
- In addition he/she will be able to use technical computing software packages such as MATLAB as a tool to solve many of the problems found during the course.
- Ability to work in group and effectively communicate the results of the realized experiments.
- Assumption by the student of the necessity continuous learning and knowledge in a step by step process.