This course addresses the transmission of multimedia contents over the Intenert. The goal is to analyze and design the mechanisms used by multimedia applications to transmit audiovisual content over a best-effort network such as the Internet. To achieve this goal, the student should acquire the knowledge and abilities described next.
With respect to the Program Outcomes (POs), this course addresses the following ones:
a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, statistics, science, telecommunication technologies and engineering
b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility in engineering practice
j) a knowledge of contemporary issues
k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Regarding the knowledge gained with this course (PO j), by its end the student will be able to:
- Understand the type of service offered by the current Internet and the limitation of this service in order to serve multimedia content
- Identify the different types of the multimedia applications used in the Internet and their different requirements.
- Get to know the mechanisms used by multimedia applications in the Internet.
- Get to know the specific mechanisms used for point-to-multipoint communications
- Understand the differences between the mechanisms used in the current Internet and the ones suited for the next-generation Internet architecture with Quality of Service capabilities.
The student will develop the following specific abilities by the end of the course:
- Design of multimedia services to achieve an effective transmission of multimedia content over the Internet (PO b, e, k)
- Optimal configure the different mechanisms at the network layer for the transport of multimedia contents (PO a)
- Develop services for robust transport of audio contents (PO b, e, k)
- Understand and analyze the global behavior of a network that supports data traffic as well as multimedia traffic (PO f)
Regarding the generic abilities and skills, the following ones will be addressed during the course:
- Ability for team work (PO f)
- Ability to read and understand up to date literature as well as presenting it (PO j)
- Getting familiar with widely used network technologies in the Internet area (PO j)
- Ability to understand and used manuals and handbooks to operate network equipment (PO b)