- Knowledge of main sociological theories. Basic skills for sociological empirical analysis.
- Critical thinking.
Description of contents: programme
- The course will teach students: i) the object of sociological study; ii) main sociological theories; and iii) main sociological concepts. Some lessons will be devoted to the analysis of families, education, religion or the state.
Learning activities and methodology
- Lectures (2 ECTS credits). Students will have enough time to ask questions.
- Exercises made and corrected in the classroom (2 ECTS credits).
- Mandatory and voluntary readings made by students (2 ECTS credits).
% end-of-term-examination 60
% of continuous assessment (assigments, laboratory, practicals...) 40
Macionis, John H., and Ken Plummer. Sociology (fourth edition). Pearson. 2008
The course syllabus and the academic weekly planning may change due academic events or other reasons.