Checking date: 11/04/2024

Course: 2024/2025

Contemporary sociological theory
Bachelor in Sociology (Plan: 402 - Estudio: 208)

Coordinating teacher: DIAZ GANDASEGUI, VICENTE

Department assigned to the subject: Social Sciences Department

Type: Compulsory
ECTS Credits: 6.0 ECTS


Requirements (Subjects that are assumed to be known)
Sociological theory subjects from previous courses, in particular the subject of Great Streams in the Development of Sociological Theory and Classical Sociological Theory.
Knowledge of the main changes produced in the development of contemporary sociological theory. Identification of the authors and trends that provide the most significant theoretical contributions to the development of contemporary sociological theory. As a result of this learning, the student will have a complete picture of the most significant transformations occurred in contemporary sociological knowledge
Skills and learning outcomes
Description of contents: programme
1. Functionalism 2. The Frankfurt School. 3. Symbolic interactionism. 4. Phenomenology and ethnomethodology. 5. Methodological individualism. 6. New modernity (I) 7. New modernity (II) 8. Postmodernity.
Learning activities and methodology
In correspondence with the organization of the course, the evaluation is divided into two separate blocks. The theoretical part is evaluated through a final exercice which represents 40% of the final grade. The other 60% corresponds to the practical part of the subject with individual assignments linked to each of the topics and also a group work that will be developed throughout the semester and will be presented at the end of the course.
Assessment System
  • % end-of-term-examination 40
  • % of continuous assessment (assigments, laboratory, practicals...) 60

Calendar of Continuous assessment

Extraordinary call: regulations
Basic Bibliography
  • Berman, M.. Adventures in Marxism.. Verso.. 1999.
  • Bourdieu, P.. Raisons pratiques.. Editions du Seuil.. 1994.
  • Giddens, A.. Politis, Sociology and Social Theory.. Blackwell Publishers.. 1987.
  • Habermas, J.. Asch, Europa!. Suhrkamp Verlag.. 2008.
  • Jameson, Fr.. Posmoderm or the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism.. New Left Review Ltd. Oxford.. 1984.
  • Lipovetsky, G.. L'ere du vide.. Gallimard.. 1983.
Additional Bibliography
  • Ritzer, G.. Contemporary Sociological Theory.. McGraw Hill.. 1992.

The course syllabus may change due academic events or other reasons.