Department assigned to the subject: Department of Social Sciences
ECTS Credits: 6.0 ECTS
- Handle accurately the concepts relating to the structures and administrative actors.
- Know strategies and instruments for improvement and innovation in public management.
- Understand basic elements that make up public organizations design and structuration.
- Understand power, conflict and political management in administrative settings.
- Perceive organizational culture and public values role on the behavior of political-administrative actors.
- Notice transition from a bureaucratic model to a managerial one, and from the latter to the governance model in contemporary changes in policy and public management
- Know the Spanish administrative system by contrasting it with other public sector models and comparative administrative systems.
1. Political System and Public Administration.
2. The evolution of public management. Bureaucratic model, gerencialism, and public governance.
3. Key factors in designing administrative structures. Spanish administrative system as an example of structural complexity.
4. Strategies and instruments for the improvement of public management. Excellence and quality management models in public services. Motivation in public sector. Dimentions of Public Innovation.
5. Conflict, interests and power networks in public administrations. Political power and bureaucratic power. Public managers as political managers. Leadership in public sector.
6. Public values and organizational culture. Culture and organizational change.
7. Public sector models and comparative public management.
Learning activities and methodology
Text analysis, case studies, individual or in-group research papers and/or oral presentations, short essays, in-class debates, etc.
Tutorial sessions: individual on the established schedule.
% end-of-term-examination 50
% of continuous assessment (assigments, laboratory, practicals...) 50