This is an advanced class on industrial organization in which several topics with practical examples will be presented.
The objective of the course is to provide students with adequate instruments for the analysis of a series of industries that are of particulalr importance in economic life. In addition, the application of public policies special that affect how market function (competition rules, sttate aid) will be presented. Specific examples will be discussed with the purpose of facilitating understanding and showing the conceptual analysis' potential.
* Introduction: tools to evaluate market power, price discrimination, multiproduct firms
* Abuse of dominance: general principles
* FRAND: fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory pricing for essential inputs
* Rebates by a dominant firm: exclusionary abuse (foreclosure)
* Exclusion through raising rivals¿ costs, margin squeeze
* Empirical analysis of mergers
* Competitive interaction and competition infringements in the pharmaceutical industry
* Competitive interaction in the civilian aircraft industry
* State aid rules: general principles
* Economic analysis of state aid: the Market Economy Investor Principle (MEIP)