1. Introduction: errors, algorithms and estimates
Sources of error, roundoff, truncation, propagation. Machine numbers, floating-point arithmetics. Taylor polynomials and error. Estimating and bounding errors. Optimal step. Interval arithmetics.
2. Polynomial interpolation: Lagrange, Hermite, piecewise, splines
Newton/Lagrange Interpolation, errors. Equispaced (or not) nodes. Runge's phenomenon. Hermite interpolation. Richardson's extrapolation. Splines. Natural cubic splines.
3. Numerical quadrature and differentiation
Numerical differentiation: back/forward, central, general, higher order. Errors. Numerical Integration: Newton-Côtes formulae. Errors. Adaptive integration.
4. Direct methods for linear systems of equations
Linear systems, stability: condition number. Triangular systems. Gaussian elimination. Pivoting. Computing determinants and matrix inverses. Conditioning. Orthogonalization methods and improved methods.
5. Nonlinear equations and nonlinear systems
Nonlinear equations: Mean-value theorem, number of roots in an interval. Bisection, Secant, Newton-Raphson. Fixed-point methods. Convergence order. Error analysis. Nonlinear systems. Accelerated, Taylor and interpolation methods.
6. Linear least squares problems
Least-squares, normal equations. Regression. Normal equations and QR method. Overdetermined systems. Applications.