This course attempts to provide an approach to visual and written culture and the entanglement between both. The subject will deal with the follower aspect:
Part One: Written Culture
1. Presentation and introduction. Word, technology and memory.
2. The written culture in Antiquity. Records and supports
3. Medieval written culture:
- From the papyrus roll to the parchment codex.
- The Era of the Manuscript Codex
4. From manuscript to print
- Technology and business model
- The Library Artifact
- Book and censorship in the modern world. The construction of cultural modernity.
- Uses and practices of written culture: reading and writing
5. Transformations in the contemporary world
- The contemporary edition. Market and culture.
- Reading habits
6. Written culture in the digital world: cultural industry
Part Two: Visual Culture
2. The birth of visual culture
3. Theoretical foundations
4. The relationship between the word and the image in the emergence of photography and the cinematograph.
5. Visual culture and cultural legacy
6. Cultural practices and representative effects of the gaze: the representation of otherness
7. The image as a medium in mass culture