This course has a triple objective: firstly, the student must know the anthropological tradition with particular reference to the concept of culture, including the main dimensions of the anthropological approach to the study of a society from a cultural perspective. Secondly, the student will know the main topics of the subdiscipline of cultural anthropology. Finally, and most relevant, the student will become familiar with ethnographic methods, as instruments extended from anthropology to cultural studies:
1. The problem of an anthropological definition of culture.
2. Main anthropological components of culture: conventions of social order, rituals, and myths
3. Great schools of the contemporary anthropology
4. Relationship between ethnomethodology and cultural studies
5. The anthropological analysis of micro-rituals as a cultural analysis of daily life
6. Introduction to case studies as a method for cultural studies